Thursday, November 03, 2011

On Your Marks, Get Set, Stop?

Say what?

Yes, I know. On Monday night I was so ready to start writing on this year's NaNoWriMo. Then the contest bug bit me. It's been a long time. The contest is the Silicon Valley Chapter of RWA's 2011 Gotcha contest. Just send in the first fifteen pages of an unpublished manuscript. Simple, right? Wrong.

I'm a failed perfectionist, and it's difficult for me to let the pages slip from my fingers until I'm certain I can do no better. That's why I'm a compulsive re-writer. So, I pulled out a couple of manuscripts and started polishing. Yesterday, alone I printed and tweaked those fifteen pages three times. I'm not too embarrassed to say that one of those was to check each comma against the Chicago Manual of Style. Then, I printed that second entry once again this morning. Almost any writer will tell you that text looks differently on a screen than on paper. Different things pop out.

So, what's my word count on NaNo after two full days? Two hundred eleven words. But, like Scarlett O'Hara said, tomorrow is another day. I'm a really fast typist.

No comments: