Friday, August 11, 2006

Summary of My Afternoon

A new friend of mine generously allowed me to share her thoughts on writer's block. I couldn't agree with her more. Swing by and say hello to her at http://www.betsy-ann.blogspot.com.


A Summary of My Afternoon
by Betsy Ann St. Amant

Writers block, you really stink
I need an idea, I need a link!
What to say? Where to go?
My spirits have sunk so very low.

I need a gimmick, I need a plan
My heroine desperately needs a man!
Adjectives and adverbs, don’t fail me now!
Prepositions and nouns, please tell me how!

What will I do? How will this end?
Time ticks by that I don’t have to spend.
The pressure mounts, the page stays bare
My eyes glaze over as I continue to stare

Tension builds, desperation rises
A blank manuscript just doesn’t win prizes!
The end is looming, the tunnel is dark
My palms are sweaty until – hark!

What’s that? A word? It glimmers bright
I type it out, the tunnel flickers light
Another word follows, behold, a phrase!
Oh precious muse, promise you’ll stay!

I’m on a roll - now, a paragraph!
When this is over, I just might even laugh.

No comments: